Mark D. Katz
Mark defends a broad range of clients in a variety of cases, from manufacturers and distributors in fire and explosion cases to governmental entities and their employees in constitutional law matters and statutory claims. Mark works with clients to develop and implement plans for risk management not only from exposure to monetary damages but from the reputational damage that can result in cases that attract negative publicity.
After a short time with a commercial litigation law firm, Mark joined the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office as an assistant prosecutor where he charged and tried felony cases and counseled the grand jury. He left the Prosecutor’s Office to work as a civil litigator. He represented insurance companies and their insureds at trial and on appeal in product liability and personal injury law cases as well as employment discrimination claims and claims raised under the constitutions of the United States and Missouri. Mark continued his trial and appellate work at Coronado Katz LLC, where he practiced until joining Baty Otto Coronado’s Kansas City office in 2019.
Mark has taken on leadership roles in local, regional, and national bar associations that focus on litigation and trial. He serves on the Product Liability Steering Committee of DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar™, and he recently completed a term as chair of DRI’s Fire Science and Litigation Specialized Litigation Group. Mark served for seven years on the board and as an officer of the Kansas Association of Defense Counsel (KADC), including a two-year stint as chair of the Legislative Committee, where he authored KADC’s written testimony and personally testified in support of Kansas’ adoption of the Daubert standard for expert testimony.
Mark writes articles and speaks to attorney organizations on diverse topics, including legal ethics, products liability, employment discrimination, and practical solutions to common problems in litigation and trial practice. He enjoys working with young attorneys to help them develop the knowledge and skills they will need to serve clients well into the future.
AWARDS & SERVICE
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers® in Missouri and Kansas, Thomson Reuters
- KADC’s Distinguished Service and Robinson Silver Helmet Awards
- Warrant Officer of the Year (1991), Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- State University of New York at Binghamton
- State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- DRI (formerly Defense Research Institute)